Incorporated on May 2, 1978 as a 501 (c) 19 Not for Profit Veteran Organization, the purpose of the Go for Broke Association is to:
- Provide for the voluntary and mutual assistance, entertainment and enjoyment and social improvement of the members of the 100th Battalion, 442d Infantry, United States Army Reserve.
- Assist the 100th Battalion, 442d Infantry, United States Army Reserve in its recruiting and retention effort and in any manner possible maintain the unit at the highest strength attainable to enable the unit to effectively participate in the defense of the United States of America.
- Provide generally for the moral, mental and physical well-being of its members.
Every person who performed honorable military service with the 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate), 442d Regimental Combat Team, 442d Regiment, 100th Battle Group, 100th Battalion, 442d Regiment: or any predecessor unit is eligible for membership.
Passing the Torch: The 442d Regimental Combat Team (including the 100th Infantry Battalion), was deactivated in Hawaii on 15 Aug 1945, following the end of World War II. The 442d RCT passed all its honors, lineage, and traditions earned in combat to the 100th Battalion/442d Infantry Regiment of the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR). The U.S. Army activated the Active Reserve Unit in 1947 and was designated as the 100th Battle Group, 442d Infantry on May 29, 1959, as a Ready Reserve unit in Hawaii stationed at Ft. DeRussy.
The 100th Battalion, 442d Infantry Regiment USAR, is the only remaining infantry unit in the U.S. Army Reserve force structure. It is now headquartered at Fort Shafter, Hawaii, and its units are located in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam and Saipan. The unit is under the command and control of the 9th Regional Readiness Command, with a wartime mission to be one of the maneuver battalions of the 29th Infantry Brigade (Separate), Hawaii Army National Guard.
Deployments have included:
- Vietnam from May 1968 to December 1969
- Iraq I from February 2005 to January 2006
- Iraq I/Kuwait from August 2008 to October 2009
The group sponsors two scout troops and a scholarship golf tournament each year.